Monday, January 10, 2011

I laughed, I cried, and I read and read and read and...

Belle du Seigneur by Albert Cohen is 974 pages long! I was really daunted by this book when I first picked it up (and the interlibrary loan deadline with NO RENEWALS looming) but I made it through! While I was worried that this was going to be long, boring and unreadable, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself really enjoying it.

The story is kind of a love story, kind of a comedy, tragedy, drama, social commentary, political commentary, pretty much everything you could imagine all rolled into one. And it was LONG. Although, last night when I finally finished the book, I turned to Mike and told him that I was going to miss those characters. I had spent so much time with them over the past couple of weeks and all of a sudden they are gone.

I am shocked that this book isn't more popular. I understand it being so long and everything, but it was really, really good and I'm surprised that more people don't read it. I am curious whether any of Cohen's other books are on the list as well. (This book is the third in a series of novels that follow the same main character.)

Happy New Year! (Peanut is still saying Happy New Year - so cute, she will just come up to me once in a while with a big smile on her face and say, "Happy New Year!" - so Happy New Year to you, blog.) Last year I read 64 books in total I think (counting a few non-list books as well) - I am not sure I will ever top that as a record.

No comments:

Post a Comment